2019 PCAFA MEMBER ACTIVITY AND EXHIBITION
From collaboration comes great things – crazy good things.
If you are a member of the PCAFA Society, you are invited to join in the exciting special project “Takeaway.
The premise is simple:
- Each artist is provided with a 16”x 16” pizza box. The pizza box is your “idea box”. You put objects in it that have significance to you, or express an idea, or that might foster a response in someone else.
- You make a piece of art that is about the contents of your box. It could be a literal representation of the objects or it could be about a feeling they inspire – whatever. The artwork can be any size, any shape, and any medium.
- In February, the organizing committee collects your box and photographs the contents.
- Then the committee gives your box to another participating artist (at random and anonymously) who will use it to inspire an artwork that they will create. Likewise, you will receive someone else’s idea box and create a work of art based on its contents. The contents cannot be altered, they can be removed and rearranged but they have to go back into the box in the condition they were found.
- In late May you deliver to the committee to be photographed and prepared for exhibition: your original finished piece, your finished piece about the box you were given, and the box with all its contents
In June of 2019 we will all gather for the big reveal – an opportunity to meet with fellow members and talk about our experience. Each pizza box, opened to reveal its contents, will be shown with two works of art displayed alongside – one piece revealing the interpretation of the assembler and the other the interpretation of the assemblee.
- Only Festival members qualify to participate.
- Registration for Takeaway closes January 15th, 2019.
- The contents of each idea box goes back to the originating artist, with all contents in tact.
- Stuff happens, so don’t put anything of value in the box that you couldn’t bear to lose.
- Don’t plan on having your original box and contents back until June or July.
- If space allows, Takeaway works may be exhibited at the Opening Night Reception and/or the project may be shared for promotional purposes as a video montage.
- Finished artworks are the property of the creating artists.
- Specific drop-off and pick-up details to follow. Watch the Festival Website or contact Philip Hodges at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 902-219-1188.